Wednesday 29 December 2010

Pumpkin-Spiced Sweet Biscuits

Once again, it’s been a while since I’ve posted something on here, so I thought I’d share a seasonally festive little treat with you all. I was originally trying to make a cake-y sugar cookie of some sort with this recipe, but they turned out way more like a biscuit. The first time I made them, I had kneaded the dough too much and they turned out a bit too chewy and tough, so I’d suggest mixing the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Also, I used a starch-based egg replacer for this recipe. The one I use, which is pretty much the only one around where I live, is made by PaneRiso. I got it at a health food store, but I think you can find it in most Metro supermarkets too. I’m also familiar with the one made by Ener-G, but I think it’s only available in the States, because I’ve never seen it up here in Ontario-land.

Ingredients:
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/4 cup Earth Balance, near room temperature (or other vegan butter)
Egg replacer enough for 2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons soy or rice milk

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Stir together until well mixed.
2. Using an electric mixer (or a food processor or a whisk) cream together the sugar, pumpkin puree, and Earth Balance. Mix in the egg replacer, vanilla, and soy or rice milk.
3. Add the creamed sugar mixture to the dry ingredients and stir together just until dough forms. Don’t knead the dough. Form pieces of the dough into balls about the size of a small golf ball and flatten into a cookie. Lightly grease a baking tray (or line one with parchment paper) and bake for about 7 to 10 minutes, depending on how hot your oven is.
Makes: about 20 biscuits

For Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon soy or rice milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A few drops of food colouring of your choice

Whisk everything together. Add more sugar if it’s too thin, add more soy or rice milk if it’s too thick.

LikeBe the first to like this post.1 Response to “Pumpkin-Spiced Sweet Biscuits”Feed for this EntryTrackback Address
1Yam and Potato Quinoa Curry « Vegan EatsTrackback on November 14, 2010 at 11:06 am Leave a Reply Cancel replyYour email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment