Wednesday 29 December 2010

Grilled Portabella Sandwich with Avocado, Fresh Basil and a Chipotle BBQ Sauce

First thing’s first. There has been somewhat of an exciting development here in the Vegan Eats camp: I’ve decided to offer my cooking services (for a reasonable fee) to those seeking meatless catering for small-scale events. For more information, click here to check out the page I set up for this new little venture of mine.

I really do love a good sandwich. I was having a conversation about it with my friend Billy, a fellow sandwich aficionado, and we were trying to narrow down the essential complimenting ingredients in each of our ‘perfect sandwiches’. For me, it came down to five components: 1. at least two good spreads/sauces, 2. something pickled, 3. avocado, and 4. alfalfa sprouts. Avocado is good enough to hold it’s own as the main ingredient of a sandwich, but I like the richness of it so much that I usually throw at least a little bit of it in every sammie I make. The star of this sandwich is the rich and meaty portabella mushroom, sautéd in olive oil with a bit of thyme and balsamic vinegar.

The BBQ sauce here turned out really deliciously. My best one yet, for sure. Depending on where you live, dried chipotle peppers might be a little hard to find. I got mine from Perola Supermarket in Kensington market, my favourite local Latin grocer. Any Latin grocer should carry them, but if you can’t find any dried chipotles in your area, just go with the canned ones. This recipe makes quite a lot of sauce and since it’ll keep for about a week or so, you might want to freeze some of it if you’re not going to use it all in that time.

Ingredients:
1 or 2 dried chipotle peppers
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juices
3 tablespoons tamari (or other good quality soy sauce)
1 tablespoon

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment